The World – The Americas
Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman said at a news conference on Thursday: “I do not want to engage in auctions over the possible causes of the explosion. We will follow with interest the progress of the investigations conducted by the Lebanese government, and we will assist them if they ask us to.”
It is noteworthy that a huge explosion rocked the port of the Lebanese capital, Beirut, last Tuesday, killing 135 people and wounding about 5,000 others.
Initial data indicate that the explosion was caused by unsafe storage of high explosive chemicals.
US President Donald Trump had earlier suggested that the explosion was caused by a bomb attack, but other US officials said they did not have enough information to confirm this.