With the increase in international business every year, we are beginning to witness the phenomenon of business travelers who are heading for conferences, not only within the country but often internationally, this phenomenon, called conference tourism, has become a large part of the business of many companies, centered Conference tourism about providing services to business travelers who attend seminars, workshops, conferences and conferences, which is the largest and fastest sector in tourism sector Modern, and it has a higher financial impact because business travelers spend more than their leisure counterparts, often, their expenses are paid by the organizations they represent, leaving tourists with a large disposable income.
The increase in professional trips to conferences and seminars by employees in “knowledge industries” provides an environmentally worrying trend in mobility in the contemporary postindustrial society, there are a number of factors involved.
Globalization and regional competition encourage host cities and institutions to position themselves on the conference map. For the individual traveler, conferences and seminars provide escape from the daily routine and an opportunity to experience new, perhaps strange, places, but trips to remote conferences can have serious environmental impacts, especially if they are undertaken. With it by plane, due to the aggressive impact of greenhouse gas emissions in the upper atmosphere, its threat to the global climate is more dangerous than similar flights taking place at the surface level, in addition to the time spent on these trips compete with other tasks that require participation in Conference rare time available resources for academics, university research, in the era of electronic communication, it is doubtful whether the conferences are effective arenas for communication and gathering knowledge.
Sections of conference tourism
- Traditional business travel or meetings, intended for facetoface meetings with business partners in different locations.
- Incentive trips, a business advantage designed to motivate employees for example, nearly a third of British companies use this strategy to motivate workers.
- Conference and exhibition travel, dedicated to attending largescale meetings, at an estimated 14,000 conferences around the world for 1994, the main destinations are Paris, London, Madrid, Geneva, Brussels, Washington, New York, Sydney and Singapore.
The words MIC, meetings, incentives, conferences and exhibitions are abbreviated in the context of business tourism.
The economic importance of conference tourism
There is a strong and interrelated relationship between the national economy of states and business tourism, because this sector usually enhances the national industry, enhances communication channels and raises the quality of the workforce in various economic sectors, such as the agricultural sector, the petroleum sector, the telecommunications sector, the tourism sector, the education and training sector, the health sector, and professional associations. etc.
Conference tourism is able to gain many economic fruits for the benefit of the national economy, is considered the main driver of temporary and permanent jobs, many governments in the world include business tourism outcomes within the gross domestic product as well as during the analysis of the cost of public investment in the sector, the sector generates a large number of jobs Permanent and temporary activities in the field of supply chain, organization and management of events, in addition to accompanying services.
Many countries rely on business tourism and conferences to provide employment opportunities for their citizens, for example the city of Melbourne in Australia has a population of about 4 million people, more than 22,000 of whom work in the business tourism sector.
The business tourism sector has many other economic benefits that can be identified as follows:
For direct economic impacts
- Accommodation, transportation and tourism services paid by international visitors to exhibitions and conferences.
- Growth of investments in business tourism, including the construction of city centers, conference and exhibition facilities, conference and exhibition organizing centers, events organizing companies, event suppliers, destination management companies, etc.
- Growth of investments in conference tourism, including the construction of city centers, conference and exhibition facilities, conference and exhibition organizing centers, events organizing companies, event suppliers, destination management companies, etc.
- Revenue from owners and organizers of exhibitions and conferences (sponsorships, registration fees, sale of exhibitor spaces, sale of copyright to the media, penalties, and sales Gifts).
- Revenue from business tourism suppliers.
- Trade and deals that take place during exhibitions and conferences.
- Marketing patron products Conferences and exhibitions.
- The rise of promotional activities.
Indirect economic effects
- Expenses paid by visitors to conferences and exhibitions for public services.
- Gift expenses paid by business tourism visitors.
- Sales of farmers, factories and service suppliers.
- The contribution of business tourism to urban and infrastructure development.
- Highlighting investment opportunities in the destination where the exhibition or conference is held.
- Encourage investment in the destination where the conference or exhibition takes place.
- Determine the economic impacts of business tourism.
The commercial importance of conference tourism
There is a great correlation between conference tourism and the tourism industry, especially hotels, tour operators, travel agencies and similar activities and their mutual impact.
Meeting rooms in hotels are the main conference and exhibition facilities, as well as conference and exhibition participants also residing in hotels, many countries associate their tourism strategies with business tourism development strategies.
The tourist trip for the purposes of attending conferences and exhibitions represents more than 15% of the total tourism in the world.
Tourism benefits from business tourism as follows:
- Tourists arriving for the purpose of attending various types of conferences and exhibitions are the ones who can often spend and have high purchasing power as well.
- Exhibitions and conferences increase the demand for tourism services and products during the calming seasons and thus provide job opportunities.
- Enhance the tourist experience that leads the tourist to extend the stay or repeat the visit.
- Enrich the calendar of events in the destination.
- Market and highlighting the potential of the destination.
- Increase the demand for services and programs of tour operators and tour guides.
The importance of conference tourism for tourism Social
Business and conference tourism is a fertile environment to take advantage of people’s spare time, along with volunteering in business tourism is an important factor for young people to manage their time profitably and experience the acquisition.
The cultural importance of conference tourism
Business The business tourism sector, by inviting international experts to participate in conferences and exhibitions, contributes greatly to drawing the latest experiences, knowledge and international science. Conference tourism activities are a distinct means of developing the efficiency of the workforce in various public and private sectors, and it is also an effective way to exchange experiences Highlighting cultures and reviving traditions and heritage.
The political importance of conference tourism
There are several political advantages of business tourism that can be listed as follows:
- Improve the state’s mental image.
- Highlighting the country’s leaders through their participation in business tourism activities.
- Better means of promoting cultural dialogue.
- Strengthening the political influence of the state.
- Developing the administrative efficiency of public employees.