It is a period between a man’s request to marry a woman and marriage, including a promise issued by the man to the woman to marry her close, with a sincere intention and a real desire to marry. Each fits the other. The courtship period varies from one person to another, depending on what is required by the decision of the betrothed and their circumstances and habits in the place in which they live, the engagement period may be a few weeks and may extend to several years.
The legal sermon
الخطبة في الشّرع هي أن يطلب الرّجل من المرأة الزّواج٬ دون عقد قران٬ والخطبة مشروعة لمن أراد الزّواج٬ والدّليل في قولهِ تعالى: (وَلَا جُنَاحَ عَلَيْكُمْ فِيمَا عَرَّضْتُم بِهِ مِنْ خِطْبَةِ النِّسَاءِ أَوْ أَكْنَنتُمْ فِي أَنفُسِكُمْ ۚ عَلِمَ اللَّهُ أَنَّكُمْ سَتَذْكُرُونَهُنَّ وَلَٰكِن لَّا تُوَاعِدُوهُنَّ سِرًّا إِلَّا To say a good saying ۚ and do not intend to do the contract of marriage until the book is attained for it ۚ and know that God knows what is God, what is God, what is God.[البقرة 235]The Prophet, Aisha, may God be pleased with her, delivered a sermon.
Whoever wants to get engaged in Islam, he should look at the fiancée and see what he likes in her and his heart is tender for her. To touch her, be alone with her, or talk to her by phone, whether with the parents’ knowledge or without them, and he can visit her in the presence of a Mahram, so they do not sit with the other without a mahram, and the engagement is in Sharia without publicity. on them.
The wisdom of legislating the sermon in Islam
The wisdom of God Almighty and His knowledge of the needs of creation is the real reason for legislating the betrothal without contracting the marriage contract before marriage, and the engagement is of great importance to the persons who are about to marry, including:
- Asking about the fiancé: The fiancée’s family needs some time to be able to ask about the fiancé, his conditions, his character, and his work, and the engagement gives them that time to find out what they need to know and ask about the fiancé.
- Forming a clearer picture of the nature of the suitor, his morals and religion, and knowing if he is fit to be the future husband.
- The fiancé gets to know the fiancée more fully and builds a more comprehensive picture of her morals.
- The engagement is an introduction to the conclusion of the marriage contract; In the sermon, there is a mention of the contract and marriage between the fiancé and the fiancée.
- Preparation for marriage, psychological and material procedures.
- No one else should propose to the fiancée or woman.