The city of Gafsa is a Tunisian city located in the southern part of Tunisia. The city of Gafsa is known as the largest city in the south, where it is the seat of the state of Gafsa. The total number of residents in the city, according to the statistics of 2014, is about 95,242 people. The city has been subjected to destruction and destruction several times. During the Second World War between 1942-1943 AD, the city was subjected to several bombings that caused great havoc and destruction in the city. In January 1980 AD, the city was also exposed to an armed movement by a number of Habib Bourguiba’s commandos.
The history of the city of Gafsa
Several civilizations followed the city, including the Roman civilization that appeared in the year 117 BC, when a municipal system prevailed in the city, and during the Roman era, swimming pools were built in the city; It consisted of three basins up to five meters deep, and the basins were built of large and carved stones intended for building swimming pools, and these basins are supplied from groundwater.
The Islamic conquest was carried out by the Arab leader Hassan bin Numan in the year 698 AD; Where the city of Gafsa was considered the capital of a vast region in Africa, and with the entry of the Hilalians, and the loss of central rule, the country became divided into states; Where the city of Gafsa was the state of the Bani Rand, which extended in the period 445-545, and its duration lasted for nearly a century, and the city of Gafsa has maintained over the ages its importance as it is located within the road network linking the East and the Maghreb, as well as the countries of Sudan.
In the year 1886 AD, phosphate mines were discovered in the city, and it is considered one of the best mines in the world. The city has developed as a result; The mine extracts about 7.5 million tons annually, which made the Tunisian state the fourth largest in the world in producing phosphates.
The most important tourist attractions in the city of Gafsa
- The tower: it was built by Abu Abdullah Muhammad al-Hafsi in the year 1434 AD on the walls of an ancient Byzantine landmark, and was later restored and repaired in the year 1663 AD, and it is currently used as an outdoor theater in Tunisia.
- Gray: It is a plateau consisting of radiant stones, and large silax stones.
- Arbata Park: Its total area is about two hundred and sixty hectares, and the park consists of two parts; Where the first section contains many types of desert animals and birds, and the second section is spread by cactus trees, in addition to the existence of a reserve where animals such as deer live.