Renewing your US Tourist Visa: What You Need to Know
US Visa Renewal Process
Before you start the US visa renewal application process, you need to know if you are eligible for the same.
- You can only renew a visa that you had previously. For instance, you can apply for a B2 visa renewal, if your previous US visa was B2. You cannot apply for a B1 visa or any other visa if you had a B2 visa previously. In this case, you need to submit a fresh application.
- You cannot renew your US tourist visa while you are in the United States. You need to apply for a renewal at least six months before your current visa expires. This way, you have enough time to get a decision on your application before the expiry date.
Documents Required for US Visa Renewal
You need to submit the following documents while applying for US tourist visa renewal:
- A current and valid passport
- Your old passport with the visa that needs to be renewed
- Your DS-160 form confirmation page
- Your visa application payment receipt
- A passport size photograph taken within the last six months
- Proof of financial support
US Tourist Visa Renewal Fees
The fee to renew a US tourist visa is $160. You can pay the fee online or at any Citibank or Axis bank in India. The fee is non-refundable, and it does not guarantee that your visa will be approved.
US Visa Renewal Interview
In most cases, you will not be called for an interview for US visa renewal. However, if required, you may be asked to attend a visa interview. The consular officer will ask you questions about your previous visits to the US, your reasons for renewal, and financial resources. You must provide truthful and accurate answers during the interview.
US Visa Renewal Processing Time
The processing time for US visa renewal varies from one case to another. It can take up to two months to receive a decision on your application. However, in some cases, you may receive the decision within a few days.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Can I renew my US tourist visa without leaving the United States?
No, US tourist visa renewal cannot be done while you are in the United States.
2. Can I renew my US tourist visa after it has expired?
No, you cannot renew your US tourist visa after it has expired. You need to apply for a new visa by following the regular application process.
3. What is the eligibility criteria for US tourist visa renewal?
You can only renew a visa that you had previously. Also, you cannot renew your visa while you are in the United States.
4. Will I be called for an interview for US tourist visa renewal?
In most cases, you will not be called for an interview. However, if required, you may be asked to attend a visa interview.
5. How long does it take to process US tourist visa renewal application?
The processing time for US tourist visa renewal varies from one case to another. It can take up to two months to receive a decision on your application.