Affordable International Destinations for American Travelers
According to AAA, the average cost of international flights has soared more than 30% compared to last year. This surge is mostly due to the reopening of borders after a prolonged shutdown due to the COVID-19 pandemic. As a result, travelers are looking for affordable destinations that offer cheaper flights.
Fortunately, Priceline has identified five affordable international destinations that American travelers can fly to this summer.
The 5 Affordable Destinations
1. Cancun, Mexico – The first destination on the list is Cancun. This beach paradise offers travelers a tropical getaway that won’t break the bank. With plenty of flights available from major U.S. airports, Cancun has always been a well-liked destination among Americans. You can still find flights for under $300.
2. San Jose, Costa Rica – For those wishing to explore Central America, San Jose is a great choice. The city is known for its beaches, lush forests, and eco-tourist attractions. While airfare may be a little higher ($400-$500), once you arrive, you’ll find that it’s a budget-friendly destination.
3. Punta Cana, Dominican Republic – A Caribbean island that offers beautiful beaches along with budget-friendly options is Punta Cana. A round-trip flight could be found for as low as $300 although more likely to be over $400.
4. Puerto Rico – American travelers don’t need a passport to visit Puerto Rico, making it an easy and affordable destination. The island has many budget-friendly accommodations, making it perfect for budget-conscious travelers. Airfare ranges from $200-$400, depending on your departure point and dates of travel.
5. Guadalajara, Mexico – For those seeking to explore more of Mexico, Guadalajara is a city that offers tons of street food, art galleries, and museums. Flights from the U.S. to this destination range from $200-$500, depending on the time of travel.
How to Find Affordable Flights
To find affordable flight options to these destinations, you should consider some tips:
1. Set up flight alerts using various travel websites to get notified when prices drop.
2. Book at least three weeks in advance to get the best deals.
3. Consider taking connecting flights instead of direct flights.
4. Travel during the offseason when flight prices tend to be lower.
5. Use credit card rewards or loyalty points to get discounts on flights.
Q: Are these destinations safe for travelers?
A: Yes, these destinations are considered safe for American travelers. However, it’s important to exercise caution whenever you travel, especially when exploring new destinations.
Q: What should I do if I encounter issues with my flights or accommodations?
A: Always notify your airline or hotel immediately if you encounter any issues. It’s important to document any problems you may experience and provide feedback to the company in question.
Q: What is the best time to fly to these destinations?
A: The best time to fly to these affordable destinations is during the offseason when flight prices tend to be lower. Additionally, consider booking your flights and accommodations well in advance to get the best deals.
Q: Should I book a package deal or separate flights and hotel reservations?
A: It depends on your travel preferences. Package deals can come with additional perks, such as airport transfer or activities, but separate reservations may offer more flexibility and potentially better prices. Compare both options before making a decision.