Are you planning your next tropical getaway? Phuket, Thailand’s largest island, offers a wide range of exciting activities that cater to all sorts of travelers, from the most laid-back to the adrenaline junkies. But beyond the mainland’s attractions, the surrounding islands are an absolute haven for thrill-seekers. Here, we’ve rounded up Phuket’s seven epic islands that are perfect for unleashing your adventurous spirit.
1. Phi Phi Islands
Made famous from the Hollywood movie “The Beach”, the Phi Phi Islands are one of the most popular island destinations in Thailand. It’s a cluster of six small islands located in the Andaman Sea, about 40 kilometers southeast of Phuket. The turquoise waters and limestone cliffs make it a stunning sight to behold. Here, you can go scuba diving, snorkeling, cliff jumping, rock climbing, and even take a sunset cruise.
2. James Bond Island
If you’re a fan of the 007 franchise, you’ve probably heard of James Bond Island, also known as Koh Ta-Pu. It gained international fame when it was featured in the movie “The Man with the Golden Gun”. This small island, located in Phang Nga Bay, features a 20-meter-tall limestone rock that juts out of the water. You can take a longtail boat or kayak around the island, explore its hidden lagoons, and marvel at its unique rock formations.
- Read also: 4 Best Beaches In Thailand: A Complete Guide
3. Racha Islands
Racha Islands, also known as Raya Islands, are located about 25 kilometers south of Phuket. These two islands, Racha Yai and Racha Noi, offer a quieter and more laid-back vibe compared to the other islands on this list. The crystal-clear waters surrounding the islands are perfect for snorkeling, diving, and swimming. You can also go trekking, and kayaking, and even take a cooking class.
4. Similan Islands
The Similan Islands, located in the Andaman Sea, is a group of nine islands that are part of a national park. This place is a paradise for divers as it has some of the best diving spots in the world. The waters are teeming with colorful marine life, and you can spot reef sharks, manta rays, and even whale sharks if you’re lucky. You can also go island hopping, trekking, and camping.
5. Koh Bon Island
Koh Bon Island is a small and secluded island located in Phang Nga Bay. It’s known for its pristine beaches, clear waters, and lush vegetation. This island is perfect for a day trip or a picnic. You can go snorkeling and diving, explore its hidden caves, and even try your luck fishing.
6. Coral Island
Coral Island, also known as Koh Hae, is located just 10 kilometers south of Phuket. This island is perfect for those who want to relax and soak up the sun. The white sand beaches and crystal-clear waters are postcard-perfect. You can go snorkeling, diving, parasailing, and jet skiing. The island also has a small village where you can try some local cuisine.
7. Koh Yao Islands
The Koh Yao Islands are a group of two islands, Koh Yao Noi and Koh Yao Yai, located in Phang Nga Bay. These islands offer a more authentic Thai experience compared to the other islands on this list. You can go island hopping, cycling, trekking, and even visit a local fishing village. The islands are also known for their stunning sunsets.
Phuket’s surrounding islands offer a plethora of exciting activities that are perfect for those looking to unleash their inner thrill-seeker. From snorkeling in crystal-clear waters to rock climbing limestone cliffs, there is no shortage of adventure to be had. Whether you’re traveling with friends, family, or solo, there is an island that will suit your taste.
If you’re planning a trip to Phuket, make sure to add these seven epic islands to your itinerary. Each island has its own unique charm and attractions, making it a must-visit destination. Don’t forget to pack your sunscreen, swimwear, and adventurous spirit, and get ready for the ultimate island adventure.
- How do I get to the Phi Phi Islands from Phuket?
- You can take a ferry or speedboat from Phuket to the Phi Phi Islands. The journey takes around 1-2 hours depending on the mode of transportation.
- Is it safe to go cliff jumping in the Phi Phi Islands?
- While cliff jumping can be a thrilling experience, it is important to do it in a safe and controlled environment. Make sure to follow the guidelines and instructions provided by your tour operator.
- Can I camp on the Similan Islands?
- Yes, you can camp on the Similan Islands. There are designated camping areas, and you will need to obtain a permit from the national park authorities.
- Are there any resorts on Koh Bon Island?
- No, there are no resorts on Koh Bon Island. It is a small and secluded island with limited facilities.
- How do I get to the Koh Yao Islands from Phuket?
- You can take a ferry or speedboat from Phuket to the Koh Yao Islands. The journey takes around 30-45 minutes depending on the mode of transportation.