Table of contents
ozanimod capsules (ozanimod) for the treatment of relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis in adults. Get to know this drug closely, other uses of the drug, its appropriate dosage, contraindications to its use, the side effects that may result from it, and a lot of valuable information about this drug.
What is ozanimod capsules?
They are capsules used to prevent relapse of multiple sclerosis, and can also be used to treat ulcerative colitis in adults. This medication belongs to a class of medications known as translational immunosuppressants, which work by decreasing the action of immune cells causing nerve damage.
|Generic name of the drug||ozanimod.|
|drug classification||Selective immunosuppressants.|
|drug manufacturer||Bristol-Myers Squibb.|
Reasons for using ozanimod
This medicine has more than one use. The doctor may recommend this medicine to a patient who suffers from:
- Different forms of relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis, a disease caused by nerves not working in an optimal way, causing vision problems.
- For the treatment of Clinical Isolated Syndrome (CIS), a neurological attack that lasts for at least 24 hours.
- Treatment of ulcerative colitis in some patients.
Read also: Elocon
The 5 most famous contraindications to the use of ozanimod capsules
There are several contraindications that should not be used with this drug, including:
- If the patient suffers from severe sleep apnea.
- It is contraindicated if the patient complains of any heart problems, including: heart failure, arrhythmia, chest pain.
- He has a history of stroke.
- It is contraindicated if the patient has taken any MAO inhibitor within the 14 days prior to treatment with it.
- This medicine should not be considered if the patient is allergic to the active substance.
Important tips before taking ozanimod capsules
The most important tips that the patient needs to work with this medicine:
- A patient who has a pacemaker should tell the doctor; Because in this case he may change the treatment or recommend special instructions with him.
- The patient must inform the doctor if he has a schedule of vaccinations during the upcoming period.
- If the patient has not previously had chickenpox and did not receive the varicella vaccine, he should inform the doctor; Because the doctor will recommend taking the vaccine and waiting a month before starting the treatment.
- A woman who takes this medicine must tell her doctor if she becomes pregnant with it.
- Here is a list of the most important things that the patient should tell the doctor about before starting treatment:
- If the patient suffers from weak immunity resulting from the use of a particular drug, or due to disease.
- The patient had an infection, or a fever before taking the medicine.
- High blood pressure, or diabetes.
- Any heart problems or arrhythmias.
- Uveitis in the eye.
- Liver problems.
pregnancy and breastfeeding
An effective contraceptive method should be taken if the doctor prescribed this medicine to the woman, and continued on it for at least 3 months after the last dose. Also, this medicine should never be given to a pregnant woman. As for the breastfeeding woman, she should refer to the doctor before taking the medication; Because it is not known if this medicine is safe for her and her baby in this case, or if she needs to find an alternative to breastfeeding.
Read also: EpiPen injections.
How to take ozanimod capsules
This medicine can be taken without any problems by following the instructions below:
- The patient must adhere to the doses and instructions recommended by the doctor with this treatment.
- Your doctor will usually check your heart function with an electrocardiogram. To check the efficiency of the heart before using the drug.
- The patient can take this medicine with or without food.
- The tablets must be taken in the order that the doses are listed in them; To avoid heart problems.
- Due to the high risk of infection with this medicine, you do not need to worry about the frequent check-ups that your doctor will order with this medicine.
- If a patient gets an infection while taking the medication, the doctor may delay the medication until the infection clears up.
Read also: Onivyde
ozanimod capsules dosages
The doses that a doctor prescribes for patients varies based on their health condition, the reason for which the drug is used, and many other reasons. It can be said that:
- Usual Adult Dose for Multiple Sclerosis:
The dosage titration system is as follows:
Days 1 to 4: The patient is given 0.23 mg once a day.
Days 5 to 7: 0.46 mg once daily.
Day 8 and beyond: The patient takes 0.92 mg orally once daily.
The fixed dose after that is: 0.92 mg once daily starting on the eighth day.
- Recommended adult dose for ulcerative colitis
The dose titration scheme is as follows:
Days 1 to 4: 0.23 mg once a day.
Days 5 to 7: 0.46 mg orally once daily.
Day 8 and thereafter until the end of the appointment: 0.92 mg once daily.
The fixed dose thereafter is 0.92 mg orally once daily starting on the eighth day.
What do you do if you forget to take a dose?
If the patient misses one or more doses in the first two weeks of treatment, he should contact the doctor; Because in this case, the doctor often recommends starting a new strip of medicine for the first 7 days. But if the patient misses a dose in the two weeks following the first two weeks, i.e. the third or fourth week, he must skip the missed dose and take the new dose on time.
What do you do if you take an overdose?
In this case, the patient must go to the hospital and seek help or contact the treating doctor, and take the instructions that must be done in this case.
Read also: Onglyza
Actions to avoid while taking this medicine
There are some actions that should be avoided with medication, the most famous of which are:
- Avoid eating foods that contain tyramine such as: pickled, fermented or smoked food, because it leads to high blood pressure.
- Stopping the dose without consulting the doctor will be the reason for the return of the relapse and with stronger symptoms than before.
- You should avoid changing the position of the body quickly, such as sitting right after waking up from sleep.
- No vaccinations should be taken during, before or after the treatment without consulting the doctor.
ozanimod side effects
The most common side effects that appear with this medicine:
- Signs that the patient is allergic to the drug, such as: difficulty breathing, swelling in the face and body.
- Severe headache, vision problems.
- Persistent cough and feeling short of breath.
- slow heartbeat, chest pain;
- Liver problems with symptoms such as: nausea, upper stomach pain, discoloration of urine, jaundice.
- Pain in the neck or ear.
- Symptoms of infection such as: fever, extreme tiredness, cough, rash, stiff neck.
- Increased sensitivity to light, seeing an unusual color or spot in the center of your vision.
- A change in blood pressure, either increasing or decreasing.
- Urination problems.
These are the most common side effects that can occur with this drug, which warrant immediate medical attention and assistance. The patient should also not hesitate to visit the doctor in case other side effects appear.
Drugs that interact with ozanimod capsules
Since this medicine can cause serious heart problems, the patient should tell the doctor about all the medicines he takes, whether prescribed or not, even herbs and vitamins. And the most famous medicines that the patient should not neglect:
- Medications for mental illness and depression.
- Cancer treatments.
- Medicines to treat infections.
- Heart medication.
- Asthma treatments.
- Blood thinners such as: clopidogrel.
- Various blood pressure treatments.
- Treatments for malaria, or human immunodeficiency.
- Anti-bleeding agents such as eltrombopag.
- Triglyceride lowering treatments such as gemfibrozil.
- Medications to treat lymphocytic leukemia, such as: mituzumab.
- Parkinson’s disease treatments.
- Opioid analgesics.
This list is not exhaustive of all drugs that can interact with this drug.
The price of ozanimod in the market
The price of the drug in the European market (European single market) is 9,520 US dollars for a dose needed for 30 days. But it is not yet available in abundance in the Arab markets.
Frequently asked questions about ozanimod
How can Ozanimod capsules be stored at home?
This medicine may be kept at room temperature, away from children’s hands, and from sunlight, heat, and moisture.
In the end, ozanimod is one of the most important anti-relapse drugs in adults in multiple sclerosis, which needs caution while taking it. The patient must adhere to the instructions and instructions recommended by the doctor; To avoid any unwanted side effects.