Table of contents
OxyContin – (OxyContin) Opiate pain reliever. Learn about the uses of this drug, its dosage in adults, the expected side effects with it, its price in the market, and the answer to the most important questions revolving around it.
What is OxyContin?
It is a medicine used to treat mild to moderate pain and acts as a powerful pain reliever. The active substance of this medicine is known as oxycodone, which is used for severe pain conditions such as cancer, and should not be used in normal cases. This medicine acts on the brain; To change how the body feels and responds to pain.
|Generic name of the drug||oxycodone.|
|Brand Names||Oxaydo, Oxyfast, RoxyBond, Roxicodone, Xtampza ER.|
|drug classification||Narcotic analgesics.|
|Pharmaceutical Forms||Tablets – syrups – capsules.|
|drug manufacturer||purdue pharmaceuticals lp.|
Reasons for using OxyContin
This drug has a primary use, which is that it acts as a strong analgesic with severe pain, which accompanies some patients as a result of a disease, or exposure to a certain health condition, such as cancer patients.
Contraindications to the use of OxyContin
The most famous cases in which this drug is contraindicated:
- If the patient is allergic to oxycodone, which is the main substance of this medicine.
- Do not use the medicine with a pregnant woman; Because it causes serious withdrawal symptoms in the child.
- The medicine should not be used if the patient suffers from asthma, intestinal or stomach obstruction, or has breathing problems.
- The medicine should not be given to a child younger than 11 years old.
Read also: Ongentys
Important tips before taking OxyContin
The most important tips that the patient must follow when taking the drug:
- It is imperative to follow the instructions and instructions specific to each patient.
- The patient should not increase or decrease the dose without consulting the doctor; Because an overdose of this medicine leads to death.
- The doctor should be informed if the patient is on this list:
- Suffers from a head injury or a brain tumor.
- He has no mental illness.
- If the patient has breathing problems, especially during sleep.
- Diagnosed with any lung disease.
- If the patient is addicted to any types of alcohol.
- He suffers from thyroid disorders.
- He has kidney or liver disease.
- He appeared to have problems with the adrenal gland.
- Has gallbladder or urination problems.
- He has no pancreas problem.
- For women, any woman who takes this medicine should tell the doctor if she becomes pregnant while taking the medicine.
pregnancy and breastfeeding
This medicine affects the pregnant woman and her baby, so this medicine should not be given to pregnant women. Because it causes withdrawal symptoms in the child immediately after birth, and therefore this child needs special medical care that lasts for several weeks.
As for the breastfeeding woman, it is not known whether this drug passes from the mother to the infant or not, so you should talk to the doctor and discuss an alternative to breastfeeding, and the mother to whom the doctor prescribes the drug should pay attention to the infant and go immediately to the doctor if she notices symptoms such as : severe drowsiness, slow breathing.
Read also: Exemestane
How to take OxyContin
The patient can take the medicine and avoid side effects by following these instructions:
- You must adhere to the time period recommended by the doctor with the doses.
- Use an accurate scale to take liquid doses of this medication.
- The patient must stop using any other opioid medication when starting to take oxycodone extended-release.
- It is recommended to take this medicine with food, and avoid taking it on an empty stomach.
- Do not break, chew, or crush the capsule before swallowing it; To avoid exposure to an overdose of the drug.
- For patients who have trouble swallowing, they can open the capsule and sprinkle the contents on an amount of apple juice and swallow it once.
Read also: Elixophylline
Dosages of OxyContin
The doses recommended by the doctor vary from case to case based on many factors, but it can be said that:
- Suggested dose for moderate to severe pain
The initial dose ranges from (5-15) mg, taken orally every 4 to 6 hours.
Supplemental dose ranges from (10-30) mg every 4 to 6 hours depending on the doctor’s recommendations.
- For the treatment of severe pain, the doctor recommends this dose
Usually the doctor starts with these patients with a dose of 10 mg every 12 hours, and gradually increases it every two days by 25 to 50% as needed by the patient, while maintaining doses every 12 hours
What do you do if you forget to take a dose?
It is rare for the patient to forget the date of the pain-relieving treatment, but if he forgets it and remembers it at a later date, he can take only one dose and the doses should not be doubled.
What do you do if you take an overdose?
It should not be neglected in the event of an overdose, especially by children or the elderly; Because this dose will be life-threatening, symptoms usually start with difficulty breathing, so you must quickly seek medical help or take the patient to the nearest hospital.
The doctor often recommends that the patient who takes this medicine take the naloxone syringe with him everywhere, so that those around him can give it to him in case he has difficulty breathing until medical help arrives.
The 6 actions to avoid while taking the drug
There are some wrong actions that the patient does with the drug without knowing that it should be avoided, the most famous of which are:
- Use of extended-release opioids with minor pain.
- The capsule must not be opened and its contents taken into a vein or inhaled; Because this can lead to death immediately.
- Use this medicine as an occasional medicine ie when needed without consulting your doctor.
- Do not stop using the medicine suddenly without committing to gradually reducing the dose as recommended by the doctor.
- Do not share the medicine with other patients suffering from the same problem without consulting the doctor.
- The patient should not perform any activity that requires full awareness, such as using sharp machinery, immediately after taking the medicine.
Read also: Etopophos injections
OxyContin side effects
The most common side effects that appear with OxyContin:
- Signs of an allergic reaction to the drug and its most common symptoms: difficulty breathing, swelling of the face, tongue and lips.
- coldness of the skin;
- Heart rhythm disturbances and general weakness in the pulse.
- Breathing problems, especially before bed.
- The patient has convulsions.
- General change in behavior and thoughts.
- High serotonin in the body, accompanied by symptoms such as: shivering, nausea and vomiting, rapid heartbeat.
- A decrease in the level of cortisol and the accompanying symptoms such as: loss of appetite, dizziness, nausea and vomiting.
- Constipation and stomach pain.
These are the most important side effects that the patient needs to know and follow up on when taking the drug, to go to the doctor as soon as there are any of them or the presence of any other side effects.
Drugs that interact with OxyContin treatment
Opioid medications can interact with many other medications, so it is important to tell the attending physician about any medications the patient is taking before prescribing this medication. The patient should also tell the doctor about any herbs or vitamins he used to take, and even over-the-counter medicines and take them when needed. The most popular drugs that interact with this drug:
- different antibiotics.
- Medicines to treat heart disease, pressure and diabetes.
- Epilepsy treatments.
- Hepatitis C virus medications.
- HIV treatment.
- Sedative and hypnotic drugs such as: Temazepam, Restoril and others.
- Muscle relaxants and muscle relaxants.
- Medications to treat depression and anxiety.
- Parkinson’s disease medications and migraine headache medications.
- Treatments for asthma, allergies and various lung diseases.
- Drugs used to treat irritable bowel syndrome or overactive bladder.
Alternative medicine to OxyContin
The most popular alternatives used for this drug:
- Roxy Bond.
- Extampsa A capsule.
There are also some medicines that contain oxycodone.
The price of OxyContin in the market
The price of this drug is not known locally due to its lack of spread. Internationally, the price of a 40-mg pack of OxyContin, which contains 100 tablets, is about $400.
Frequently Asked Questions About OxyContin
How can I keep OxyContin at home?
The patient may keep this medicine on a high shelf, away from children’s hands and from heat and moisture.
In the end, OxyContin is a strong analgesic that should not be used with potential pain. The patient must adhere to the instructions and dosages, and read the medication leaflet for the drug before starting to use it, because an overdose, even a small one, can be life-threatening.