Table of contents
oxazepam medication – (Oxazepam) To relieve anxiety caused by the withdrawal of alcohol from the body. Learn about this drug in detail, its appropriate dosage, the side effects that can result from it, the most important tips before taking the drug, contraindications to the use of the drug, and many important information that the patient needs about the drug.
What is oxazepam?
They are capsules belonging to a class of drugs known as benzodiazepines, this drug works to reduce anxiety caused by stopping drinking alcohol after continuing it for long periods. This drug can act on the central nervous system, slowing down the activity of the brain, allowing it to relax and calm down.
|Generic name of the drug||oxazepam;|
|drug classification||of benzodiazepines.|
|Pharmaceutical Forms||Capsules – tablets to be taken orally.|
Reasons for using oxazepam
This drug has a primary use, which is to reduce anxiety and tension, the intensity of which ranges from low to severe, through to moderate, which results from withdrawal symptoms that appear in alcoholics. It is also used to treat anxiety caused by depression, and this drug has another use, which is the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
Top 5 Contraindications to Oxazepam Capsules
The most famous cases in which this drug is contraindicated:
- If the patient is allergic to oxazepam, which is the active substance of this medicine.
- This medicine should not be used in cases of addiction; Because it can lead to death.
- This medicine should not be considered if the patient has recently used any opioid medicines such as: codeine; Because it affects breathing.
- Do not use the medicine if the patient has been diagnosed with psychosis or any other mental illness.
- This medicine should not be used on children under 6 years of age.
Read also: Exemestane
Important tips before taking Oxazepam tablets
The most important tips that the patient needs to know before taking the drug:
- There are some cases that the patient should tell the doctor about if he suffers from them, such as:
- Reduction of Blood pressure.
- Alcohol intake.
- If the patient has previously had epileptic seizures.
- Any diseases of the liver or kidneys.
- Depression, mental illness, or suicidal thoughts.
- The woman who is taking this medicine must tell the doctor if she becomes pregnant while taking the medicine.
- Do not stop the medicine suddenly without consulting a doctor; Because in this case life-threatening withdrawal symptoms will develop and persist for 12 months.
pregnancy and breastfeeding
This medicine is not safe for pregnant women and they should not take it, especially in the first months of pregnancy; Because its use causes withdrawal symptoms in the child and these symptoms are life-threatening for the child. As for the breastfeeding woman, it is not known whether this medicine is safe for the fetus and does not pass from the mother’s milk to the fetus, and it is also not known whether this medicine affects the amount of milk that reaches the child. Therefore, a breastfeeding woman should not take this Medication only after consulting a doctor.
Read also: Elixophylline
How to take oxazepam
The patient can take this medicine correctly and safely by following these instructions:
- You must follow the instructions and instructions for the patient, and how to take the dose correctly.
- Do not take a dose higher or lower than that recommended by your doctor.
- The time period for which the medicine is used should not be extended without consulting the doctor.
- The patient must inform the doctor if he feels an increased desire to take the drug.
- This medicine can be taken with food or on an empty stomach.
The used dose of Oxazepam tablets
The dose prescribed by the doctor depends on many factors, the most important of which are the need for which this medicine is used, and the weight of the patient. Dosages can be divided as follows:
- Recommended adult dose in the treatment of mild to moderate anxiety
The dose ranges from (10-15) milligrams of the drug, taken three to four times daily orally.
- Treatment of severe anxiety associated with depression in adults
The dose ranges from (15 to 30) milligrams per day, taken orally and divided into three or four doses.
- Usual adult dose for alcoholics
This dose is estimated according to the patient’s health condition, ranging from 15 to 30 milligrams, given to the patient daily and divided into four doses.
- Dosage for the management of anxiety, tension, and agitation in elderly patients
This dose is usually estimated based on the patient’s health condition, where the doctor recommends doses of 10 mg three times a day. The doctor may increase the dose up to 15 milligrams three or four times a day, depending on the patient’s need.
- Treating anxiety in children over 13 years old
The dose ranges from 10 to 15 milligrams of the active substance, taken three or four times daily.
What do you do if you forget to take a dose?
If the patient forgets to take a dose, it can be compensated as soon as he remembers it, if there is a time interval between it and what comes after it, but if the patient remembers the dose at the time of the next dose, he must take one dose.
What do you do if you take an overdose?
Since an overdose of this medicine can cause death, the patient should not neglect or wait in the event of an overdose, and should go to the nearest hospital immediately and seek help.
Read also: Hydrocortisone
Actions to avoid while taking this medicine
The most common actions that the patient should avoid while taking this medicine:
- Do not share the medicine with any other patient even if he suffers from the same symptoms without consulting the doctor.
- No activity that requires attention and a presence of mind should be performed immediately after taking the medicine.
Oxazepam side effects
The most common side effects that may occur with this medicine are:
- The appearance of signs that indicate the patient is allergic to the active substance of the drug, such as: difficulty breathing, swelling in the face and tongue.
- Changes in behavior and mood.
- Memory disorders.
- Confusion and anger.
- Feeling very sleepy.
- breathing difficulties.
- Balance problems, cramps and tremors.
- feeling drowsy and dizzy
- Upper stomach pain, dark urine and yellowing of the skin.
These are the most famous side effects that have been recorded with this drug. The patient must go to the doctor in the event that any of them appear, or any other strange side effects that were noticed at the beginning of taking the drug.
Medicines that interact with oxazepam
This medicine interacts with some other medicines and causes problems such as difficulty breathing, drowsiness and relaxation. The most famous medicines that should be shown to the doctor before using the medicine:
- Anxiety and seizure medications.
- sleeping pills
- Bite relaxants.
The doctor must also be informed of any other medications the patient takes, whether prescribed or not, including vitamins and herbs, to study the possibility of any interaction between them and these medications, and to develop an appropriate plan for taking these treatments together.
Alternative medicine to oxazepam
The most popular alternatives that can be used instead of this drug are:
It is necessary to refer to the doctor before using these alternatives and take his instructions.
oxazepam market price
It is difficult to determine the price of this drug in the Arab markets due to the lack of availability in abundance, but it is easy to determine the price internationally; Because it’s abundant overseas, a pack of 30 15mg oxazepam capsules costs about $40.
Read also: Neopro Patch
Frequently Asked Questions About Oxazepam
How can oxazepam be stored at home?
This medicine may be kept in a room on a shelf at 25°C, away from sunlight and moisture.
What are the available concentrations of oxazepam?
This medicine comes in the form of capsules, and these capsules are available in 3 concentrations: 15 mg, 10 mg, and 30 mg.
Finally, Oxazepam is one of the most important anxiety medications used with IBS. The patient should not worry and think about the side effects resulting from it; Because it can easily be avoided by taking the correct doses, adhering to the instructions recommended by the doctor, and completely avoiding the use of this drug.