Table of contents
Nomoazine medicine (Numoisyn), It is a saliva substitute (artificial saliva) used to relieve symptoms of dry mouth or throat due to insufficient production of saliva, due to various causes including radiation therapy, chemotherapy or Sjögren’s syndrome.
What is the drug Nomoazine?
It is an artificial saliva similar to the naturally produced human saliva that is used to treat dry mouth and throat if the body does not produce enough automatically.
|Generic name of the drug||saliva substitutes|
|Brand Names||Biotene Mouthwash, Glandosane, Aquoral, Caphosol|
|drug classification||Mouth & Throat Products|
|Pharmaceutical Forms||Oral solution, oral spray, oral emulsion, oral gel, oral swab|
|drug manufacturer||Mission Pharmacal Company|
Reasons for using Nomoazine
This medicine is used as a saliva substitute for those who suffer from dryness of the mucous membrane of the mouth and throat as follows:
- To maintain oral hygiene in intensive care units.
- For patients receiving radiotherapy.
- It is used after oral surgery.
- Certain medications that suppress saliva production such as some antidepressants and chemotherapeutic agents are prescribed during treatment.
- Doctors prescribe Numoisyn Liquid for patients whose salivary glands have stopped working.
- Numoisyn Lozenges tablets are used to stimulate salivation in patients with overactive salivary glands.
Contraindications to the use of Numoisyn
Contraindications to the use of saliva substitute medicine:
- Consult your doctor before using this medicine if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- You should not use the medicine if you are allergic to any of its ingredients.
- Do not use saliva substitute for eyes.
- Before you start using the medicine, tell your doctor If you are on a low-salt diet.
- Tell your doctor if you have any allergies before using this medicine.
Important tips before taking Nomoazine
Follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine, and you can talk to your doctor if you have any questions, with the following tips:
- Use saliva replacement medicine as often as needed or as directed by your doctor.
- Avoid neglecting oral hygiene, as proper care of hygiene contributes to eliminating the cause of dry mouth.
- Stop smoking or drinking alcohol, which increases the risk of dry mouth.
- The oral solution should be mixed before use, rinsed well for one minute, and then spit out.
- Do not eat or drink anything for at least 15 minutes after using the medicine.
- When using the atomizer or aerosol, do not inhale or get the spray in the eyes
- Do not store this medicine near heat or open flame, and do not puncture the package.
pregnancy and breastfeeding
Breastfeeding or pregnant women are usually advised to avoid medications, especially in the first trimester of pregnancy, but saliva substitutes have not been formally identified as posing a risk to the health of the mother or fetus by the Food and Drug Administration, and no studies have been reported.
- Saliva substitutes should be given during pregnancy only when the benefit outweighs any potential risks.
- No data on the excretion of saliva substitutes in breast milk is known so far.
- Always consult your physician to ensure that the medication is safe.
Read also: Neopro patch
How to take Nomoazine
Consider the following about how to take saliva substitutes:
- Use saliva substitute in the mouth only and do not use it in the eyes
- Numoisyn is applied topically inside the mouth and is not intended to be swallowed.
- Oral powder should be mixed with water before use, stir and use immediately
- Do not save the mixture for later use.
- Use a mouthwash product or any other Numoisyn liquid, rinse a small amount in your mouth for 30 seconds, then spit it out.
- When using the oral spray or spray:
- Pump the sprayer into the air once before using it for the first time.
- Hold the can upright near your mouth
- Then spray it directly in the mouth and on the tongue and after spraying you can spit it out.
- Avoid inhaling the spray or getting it in your eyes.
- Do not use this medication near heat or open flames, and do not puncture the packaging.
- If you use saliva substitute gels, pastes, or swabs, they should be applied directly to the gums or tongue.
- If the tablet or lozenge is used, it can be put in the mouth for a long time.
- The disc can be used even while you sleep. Press some discs against your teeth to secure them.
- How often you use saliva substitutes depends on your condition or as directed by your doctor.
- Numoisyn is usually used 3 to 5 times daily or if your mouth feels dry and uncomfortable.
- Can be used up to 10 times per day starting on or before the day of treatment
When using the medicine during radiotherapy or chemotherapy to treat mouth ulcers caused by it.
Read also: Benefits of yellow corn
The dosage of the medicine depends on the cause of the dry mouth. The doctor may give doses to relieve the symptoms of dry mouth as follows:
- Aquaral spray.
Two sprays orally every 6-8 hours daily.
- Capsule mouthwash.
Use 2-10 doses daily.
Place two tablets at bedtime, one tablet at the side of the mouth, on the upper part of the cheek and use as needed during the day.
- lozenges Numoisyn
One pill to emulsify every hour.
What do you do if you forget to take a dose?
If you are on a schedule, and if you forget to take a dose, use the missed dose as soon as you remember. You should skip the missed dose if it is almost time for the next scheduled dose, and do not use any other treatments to make up for missed doses.
What do you do if you take an overdose?
An overdose of saliva substitute medicines or artificial saliva is not expected to be dangerous, but you may call an emergency medical department if you accidentally swallow a large amount of this medicine.
Actions to avoid while taking this medicine
To get better results when using artificial saliva, there are actions to be avoided as follows:
- Follow all directions on the label of the medicine you are using.
- If saliva substitute accidentally gets into eyes, rinse with water.
- Do not use the medicine near a source of heat, and do not puncture the package.
- Do not save the oral mixture solution for later use.
- Avoid eating or drinking anything for at least 15 minutes after using the medicine.
Read also: Androgel
Nomoazine side effects
No medicine is without some side effects, so seek medical help in the emergency department:
- If you have signs of an allergic reaction such as:
- Such as rash and chills.
- Skin redness, swelling, or flaking of the skin, with or without fever.
- Unusual hoarseness or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Heeze, with tightness in the chest or throat.
- Difficulty breathing, swallowing or speaking, difficulty swallowing.
- Change in the nature of taste.
- Change in the nature of speech.
Drugs that interact with Nomoazine
There are many drug interventions when more than one drug is taken at the same time, but because saliva substitutes are used topically and not swallowed, oral or injected medications are unlikely to affect the saliva substitutes used. Tell your doctor about all the medicines you take, including:
- herbal products.
- Over-the-counter medicines.
- Vitamins and supplements.
Alternative medicines to Nomoazine
There are several alternatives equivalent to the effect of saliva substitute medicine, such as:
- Biotene Mouthwash
Numoisyn is an artificial saliva substitute medicine that relieves symptoms of dry mouth and helps avoid health complications. If you have less normal saliva than usual, talk to your doctor who will review your medical history and any medications you take to relieve your symptoms. Dry mouth.