Pigeons are considered one of the most human-friendly birds, and they are most prevalent in rural and urban areas. New types of these birds have appeared over time as a result of their relationship with the human who crossed them and revealed new breeds of them. Pigeons are distinguished by a beautiful and pleasant relationship with each other that breeders enjoy. Breeding pigeons is still a prevalent habit so far, as the pigeon is distinguished from the rest of poultry by its ease of rearing, its resistance to many diseases, pests, and weather fluctuations, and it is also characterized by a distinct taste among birds and has its gourmets and lovers despite its high price, and it is also a source of organic food.
Pigeon breeding history
The first type of domesticated pigeon is the mountain pigeon (in English: Rock Dove), which is one of the poultry that was domesticated thousands of years ago. The first peoples who domesticated pigeons were the ancient Egyptians, and the Greeks viewed the pigeon with a view of reverence and reverence, while the Romans were the first to use the carrier pigeon as an early correspondence system, and the Normans, when they built forts, built towers with them to raise pigeons. During the World War, the pigeons transmitted messages to and from the besieged cities, and transmitted war plans over 600 km distances.
In eastern circles, animal husbandry occupies an important position. Not long ago, most Arab homes kept pigeons, birds, cats, and chickens. In the Badia and the countryside, the situation was more formal. Because animals such as cows, goats and camels are a source of livelihood and livelihood, and in this article, the light will be shed on pigeon breeding, a hobby that is still present in particular in popular areas, and some large family circles, which own some space on the ground, or on the roof of their house. Pigeons belong to a family of birds that includes 49 different species, and the ancient Egyptians kept them in towers of clay and pottery.
Possibility of raising pigeons
Pigeons are raised either in high and open towers to live freely, or they are placed in special cages to ensure that they are not lost and stolen, or to avoid spreading their dung on the floor if they live on the roofs of houses, and they may be placed in cages to force certain species to mate with each other. The pigeon cage must be built in an open place exposed to sunlight, such as the yard or the roof of the house, and care must be taken during the construction of the cage to specify a large area for windows and the net, and then arrange the boxes in which the pigeon will sleep next to each other, and thus the place is ready.
Types of bathroom that should be arranged
At the beginning of raising pigeons for beginners, it is recommended to buy the cheap and widespread types of pigeons, such as: Al-Baghdadi, Al-Hindi, and Kuwaiti, and then gradually move to more expensive species, such as: King and Turkish. The most famous types of pigeons are as follows:
- Pouter: It is one of the oldest ornamental bathrooms.
- The rocking pigeon: It has beautiful shapes, and makes movements flaunting its beautiful shape and feathers.
- Austrian pigeon: It has many colors, its head is decorated with thick feathers, but one of its disadvantages is that it does not care about its chicks.
- Bukhari bathroom: It is one of the most beautiful and expensive types of pigeons, and is characterized by the density of feathers.
- The kiosk or butterfly bath: It is characterized by the shortness of its beak and its width, which makes it a very beautiful shape, and it is found in the countries of the Middle East.
- The Shirazi pigeon: It has its origins in the Iranian city of Shiraz. It is slow in movement and little flying, but it has feathers of different colors, feathers on the feet, and a long tail, which makes its shape wonderful.
- The Sana’a pigeon: It is located in the Arabian Peninsula and Yemen, and it has a beautiful sound, and its size is small.
Pigeons need special nutritional care, and food must be diversified for them. He is often given fodder consisting of wheat, sorghum, millet, and lentils, and there is a mixed type in the market that contains the previous grains, which is the preferred type, and pigeons can be accustomed to other foods such as dry ground bread and cooked rice. It also needs some pebbles to help it digest.
As for drinking, it is preferable to buy a special watering can for birds, which is sold in animal stores, or to allocate a container for water, and to make sure that it is always full, and the pigeons are fed twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening, taking into account that this food will run out within an hour or two, and the excess is removed after that. .
Other important information
- Pigeons need some material to build their nest, and the best material is palm fronds, which are cut into small pieces and placed in the cage.
- Pigeons lay two eggs mostly, and the incubation period is one day, after which the eggs hatch from small daffodils covered with yellow fluff. The strange thing is that some pigeons do not take great care of their young.
- The carrier pigeon is considered the most famous type of pigeon, and a lot has been mentioned about it in history.
- Pigeon dung can be used in the preparation of compost, which is considered the best type of fertilizer because pigeon food depends on grain. Pigeon dung contains 5% nitrogen, 20% potassium, which is one of the most important elements beneficial to plants.
- Cages should be cleaned about once a month; To ensure that manure does not accumulate.
- Pigeons should not be overcrowded in cages, and this overcrowding can be seen from pigeons competing for nests.
- ↑ Ayman El-Sherbiny (1993), Raising Pigeons (First Edition), Cairo: Ibn Sina Library, p.9.
- ^ a b c th “Keeping pigeons: important rules for setting up a home project to raise pigeons”, Nine website, 10/27-2016. act.
- ^ a b c c c h kh Ibrahim Abdo al-Murtada, The Book of Pigeon Breeding from A to Z, p. 6.
How to raise pigeons