Delight, or malban, or sweet delight is a type of dessert that is famous among different countries. It is a dessert made of starch, jelly, and sugar. The comfort industry was famous in the Levant, in the Hauran region, especially in the city of Daraa. There are types of comfort: there are regular comfort, and holding, and comfort in different flavors: with fruits and others, or stuffed with nuts and coconut.
People take comfort sweets with a cup of coffee, or tea, and it can be placed between two biscuits. Lokum has different names, in Persian it is (rahat lokum), in Greek (lokoumi), in Turkish (loqum), in English (Turkish delight), and in Egypt (malban).
How do we make the lokum comfort?
- Two cups of starch.
- Three cups of water.
- Four cups of sugar.
- A teaspoon of blossom water, or a pinch of vanilla.
- Oil or starch to grease the tray.
- Nuts and hazelnuts.
How to prepare:
- Put the oil or starch in the tray and brush it with it and leave it aside, then put two cups of sugar with two cups of water on the fire, and stir the mixture until it boils.
- Add starch and water to the mixture and stir well, and after 15 minutes have passed, add two cups of sugar, then leave the mixture for an hour on a strong heat.
- We take a little of the mixture, put it on the tiles to cool a little, add peeled and roasted nuts to it, then add rose water to the mixture, and turn off the fire.
- Then we pour the mixture into the pre-greased tray, and when the mixture cools, we cut it into squares, then serve it cold, or keep it in a closed box until eaten.
The comfort of colorful lokum
- Delight Ingredients:
- A cup of sugar.
- Half a cup of starch.
- One cup of water.
- One sachet of strawberry flavored jelly.
- A teaspoon of vanilla.
- A quarter cup of caster sugar.
- A quarter of a cup of coconut.
How to prepare:
- In a saucepan and over a medium heat, put half the amount of water and leave it to boil.
- We add the envelope of the jelly to the boiling water and continue to stir until the jelly dissolves completely, and leave it in the refrigerator until it becomes lukewarm.
- After the jelly has cooled and before it freezes, we put the jelly in the electric mixer and mix it well.
- In a saucepan, put the remaining sugar and water, and stir the ingredients until the sugar dissolves in the water.
- Add the starch and vanilla to the sugar mixture and continue to stir, then leave them on the heat until the mixture becomes thick.
- Add the jelly to the saucepan and continue stirring for a few seconds.
- Pour the mixture into a heatproof Pyrex tray and let it cool completely.
- After we make sure that the mixture is cool, we cut it into cubes.
- Dip the first part in icing sugar on all sides, and the second part in coconut.
- Place the rest on a serving plate, with pieces of plain biscuits.
- Pistachios and walnuts can be added to the lokum while the mixture is cooling.
- Food dye can be applied to obtain a strong color.
How to make the comfort of the lokum