Brands are looking to employ the most appropriate means to communicate their marketing messages powerfully to their target audience, by attracting the attention of the potential customer and directing them to take quick action to increase revenue or awareness of it. The most prominent of these means is the advertising banner, so what is it? How can you design professional banners that achieve the desired interaction for your business?
table of contents:
What are ad banners?
Banners advertising is one of the most common forms of advertising, which is a printed or digital advertising banner, which is represented by a square or rectangular graphic display with different dimensions depending on the purpose. The promotional goals of the design of advertising banners vary, it may be to promote brand services, advertise a new event, or to get new visitors to the website, and other goals.
Banner consists of four basic elements: Product or service image, company logo, and marketing message, as well as a CTA. And if we search for the four items in the banner shown in the image below, which is a picture of a clothing store that announces new offers and discounts, we find that it includes them as follows:
- Product or Service Picture: The company used an image that expresses the service, which is shopping, by showing a person carrying commercial bags.
- Company logo: The “boom” company logo appears in the top left of the banner.
- Marketing message: The design shows in bold that there are special discounts, and the marketing message was more detailed and announced a discount of up to 50%.
- CTA CTA: The call here is “Shop Now,” which means “shop now.”
Types of advertising banners
There are two main types of banners, both of which achieve the same goal, and your choice between them depends on where you will display the design and the nature of your audience:
Digital banners include all types of online banners such as; Banners of websites, applications and various social networking sites. There are two types of them: the first type is responsive to smartphones and tablets, and the other is responsive to desktop devices. The digital banner is often clickable to generate direct user interaction and action.
Have you ever seen an advertisement for a product while driving on the side of the road? This design falls under the category of printed banners. Printed banners are designed in the same way as digital banners, but the design is sent to a specialized printing press for printing, and its dimensions differ from the dimensions of digital banners on demand. Print advertising banners are used in many places, such as; Storefronts, malls, events, means of transportation, and others.
Why do companies need to design advertising banners?
Designing a professional banner is a preferred option for many companies, as it gives effective and fast results. In addition to several other reasons, the most important of which are:
Many business owners are interested in reducing marketing expenses to increase their profit margin. This can be achieved by adopting banners for advertising, as their great impact is comparable to costly ads, such as television ads. You can also design one banner and use it in several places without affecting your budget significantly, adding it to your website, your social media accounts, and placing it on the front of the store or in transportation.
Increase brand awareness
Companies are always looking to expand their presence in the market, and attract new customers who are willing to buy. Banners contribute effectively to this aspect. Designing professional banners quickly attracts the attention of potential customers, because their elements are large and clear, and their texts are few. This helps customers to understand its content within seconds, and embeds the brand in their minds, making them remember it every time they see your company name or logo.
Perfect tool to announce discounts and offers
Companies announce from time to time discounts and special offers for the products and services they provide, and during this period they strive to achieve great sales. A catchy, custom banner design creates a sense of urgency and dread among customers, knowing that offers are only available for a limited time, thus creating a clearer and bigger footfall.
What are the steps for designing professional banners for your company?
The process of designing a banner for your company may seem difficult at first glance, but with the following steps you will be able to implement them accurately and produce effective results:
1. Set your goals well
There are many common goals that most companies pursue when they want to design professional banners for their products and services, the most important of which are advertising discounts and offers, increasing sales of a particular product or service, in addition to increasing visits to a specific page on the site, and others. Therefore, in this step, you must clearly define your goal, to target interested customers, customize the thrust of your message, and be able to analyze your campaign and measure its success.
2. Analyze your target audience’s preferences
It is important to have a clear conception of your audience and their interests before starting, to keep these things in mind when designing a banner for your company. For example, the presence of a particular product in your products is more popular than others, which makes it tempting to highlight it in the design of your advertisement for a purchasing campaign.
To get a clear picture of your audience that you can rely on, consider creating a customer persona, which is a model that collects accurate and necessary information about your potential customer such as; Its language, behavior, purchasing habits, and other information that helps you understand your target audience’s preferences and means of attracting them.
3. Define the design idea and its components
Here, you will start writing down your ideas and brainstorming to come up with ideas for different professional banner designs that suit your business, and achieve the goal of your advertising campaign. Create a clear and comprehensive vision of the design you want, and be sure to include the four basic components in your banner design. Determine what the marketing message is, the placement of each component, and the primary colors in the design.
4. Choose the appropriate banner size
The dimensions of the banner vary according to the place in which you display it. The size is not too large to cover the entire screen, nor is it so small that it is difficult for the customer to see its details, so as not to lose its usefulness. Here are the most popular banner sizes for desktop and smartphone users:
- 250*300 medium rectangular banner: This type does not take up much page size compared to other types. You can add it at the end of a post or article, or during text content, and it’s a good option to use in display ads.
- 280*336 large rectangle banner: Similar to the average rectangular banner but slightly larger, it shares the right places of use, while covering a larger area.
- Banner Leaderboard 90*728: This type is displayed at the top of the site page, and helps your ad appear in front of as many potential scientists as possible, because it appears to the visitor as soon as he enters the site page.
- Half page banner (big skyscraper) 600*300: This ad takes up a lot of page space and gives the advertiser more space to communicate its marketing message to potential customers. It is often best suited to a side column on a web page.
- Leaderboard Banner for Smartphone 50*320: This banner is intended for smartphones to be suitable for displaying on their small screens without problems. It appears in the middle of the textual content and is one of the smallest banner sizes available for smartphones.
5. Choose a suitable background for the design
There are two types of backgrounds; The first is the normal background, which consists of only colors, and the second is the composite background, which contains several graphics or visual elements. It is preferable to use the first type if there are images of the product or service, as the presence of a composite background in this case distracts and disturbs the viewer. While you can use the second type if your banner design doesn’t already need images, you’ll add some liveliness to it.
6. Select the main title
You only have a few seconds to grab a potential customer’s attention by reading the headline, so choose a clear headline that communicates your marketing message directly. The title should express the purpose in a short, concise sentence that carries no more than one meaning. Moreover, it is recommended that you create your main address as a call to action, it is possible that some customers will fulfill this action and make the purchase based on it.
For example, if you wanted to design a banner for an online women’s shoe store, the headline might look like: “Shop the latest women’s shoes.”
7. Type the subtitles
Subheadings usually consist of one or two sentences below the headline, and are used because customers sometimes need to understand in more detail the marketing message the company wants to communicate to them. Or if the company wants to customize its marketing message to a specific segment of potential customers. In the previous example, the sub-message could be: “Enjoy 15% off women’s shoes.”
You are now able to design a professional banner for your business, however it is preferable to prepare different banner designs, to measure customer interaction and choose the design that achieves the best interaction for you. If you do not have the time or sufficient technical experience, you can hire a professional banner designer through a freelancer, the largest freelance platform in the Arab world, to help you design appropriate banners that achieve their goals in a strong and effective way.
Important tips to follow while designing your company’s banners
There are some important tips that you must follow while designing a banner for your business, to ensure that it achieves the desired results. Notable among them are the following:
1. Use the right color
Colors affect the feelings of customers, so keep in mind that the colors are consistent and consistent with the colors of the logo and brand in your banner design. It may also depend on influencing human feelings by employing a certain color. The following are the most important colors and emotions that they reflect on a person:
- Red color: It expresses passion, excitement and anger, and you can use it if you are looking for a classic or serious look.
- orange: It’s fun and enthusiastic, and it’s a great color when used in a CTA, as long as it’s consistent with other color tones within the banner.
- blue: It expresses trust, serenity and security, and is frequently used in most corporate banner designs in general.
- yellow: Expressing joy, sunshine and tranquility, it is an eye-catching color and radiates youthful energy.
- the green: It expresses health, wealth and the environment, and is suitable for environmentally friendly companies.
- Gray: It is a color that expresses neutrality and practical life. It can be used as a general background.
- the black: It is one of the most readable colors, and expresses mystery, luxury, sophistication and strength.
- the White: It expresses modernity, simplicity, innocence, purity and cleanliness, but it is not preferred to use it in the background of the digital banner, if the background of the site itself is white.
2. Pay close attention to the text and font type
Many people make a common mistake when writing the text inside the banner, as they write too many unimportant details, which reduces the customer’s understanding of the marketing message and becomes distracted.
Therefore, it is preferable to conduct a brainstorming session to write down all the ideas of the proposed texts, so that only one or two sentences are formed from them that express the conclusion. Do not overuse the different types of fonts, as it is preferable to use one type with different sizes and styles.
3. Don’t ignore adding a CTA
You may succeed in designing professional banners that attract the attention of potential customers, but fail to achieve their goal if they do not include a clear CTA. Some believe that the customer will understand the marketing message and the action required of him after seeing the banner design. But that won’t happen unless you ask him to make a specific decision, such as signing up for the mailing list, or trying the service for a free period, and other invitations.
4. Do not overuse images and graphics
Images of physical products help customers feel and imagine the product, which motivates the customer to complete the purchase if they are really interested in that product or service. But adding too many images creates a visual clutter that makes the customer reluctant to look at your company’s banner design.
So; It is not recommended to overuse a lot of images inside banners if the product is not physical or if you are able to better illustrate the idea of the product without having to add multiple images.
5. Make your brand logo clear
The logo does not have to be in a large size, but it must be visible and clear, because the logo gives confidence to the customer, no one wants to buy something from an unknown company. In addition, the company logo affects the mind of the potential customer, and it remains stuck in his mind even if he did not decide to buy from the first time.
In conclusion, do not neglect the issue of designing professional banners for your business, and take advantage of the opportunities that it provides to you in promoting your business to your potential clients. Take care to implement the steps and tips well to deliver your marketing message to your audience in a proper and effective manner.
Posted in: design 3 minutes ago