Molokhia is one of the most delicious and best authentic oriental meals, which is enjoyed by eating both large and small. In addition to its good taste, we find that it is rich in many nutrients necessary for the body and its health, but it remains to know the number of calories in Molokhia for those who follow a diet, for fear of spoiling their diet.
Calories in Molokhia
Some people thought in the past that the original homeland of molokhia is Egypt, but it is said that this is not true; Because there are many evidences that prove that mallow is in India, it is worth noting that mallow is also known as tusu or jute plant. As for the number of calories in mallow, it is as follows:
- A cup of mallow contains 36 calories.
- The number of calories in shrimp molokhia is 183 calories.
- Cooked green mallow has 78 calories.
- Calories in cooked dry molokhia are about 9 calories.
- Calories in a cup of green mallow is 32 calories.
- One cup of Syrian Molokhia with chicken has about 66 calories.
- Finally, frozen molokhia contains 30 calories.
After discussing the calories in mallow, let us now highlight its benefits, which are as follows:
Maintain bone health
You may find this benefit somewhat strange, and wonder how mallow affects the bones, but the reason behind this is that it contains abundant amounts of calcium and magnesium, which are needed to strengthen bones, as magnesium helps calcium to be absorbed in the proper amount.
Improve cholesterol levels
Molokhia enhances the health of the body by reducing and balancing high cholesterol levels, due to its richness in dietary fiber
Get rid of insomnia
The high amounts of magnesium found in mallow contribute to stimulating the secretion of some hormones that help calm the nerves and relax the body, and then get a peaceful sleep.
Rich in Vitamin E
Molokhia contains vitamin E that is useful for many health aspects in a very concentrated way compared to other foods, which makes it contribute to all of the following:
- Anti-inflammatory, for example: arthritis, gout.
- Headache treatment.
Useful for diet
Molokhia contains a low amount of carbohydrates and high levels of fiber, which makes it the appropriate meal for losing fat, as fiber helps to feel full and full, and the low content of carbohydrates contributes to the lack of high levels of insulin in the body, which is followed by the storage of fat, and this is what we want Avoid it during weight loss, and from the above it can be said that the lack of calories in mallow, which is what makes it keto-friendly, which helps the body burn fat by putting the body in ketosis.
Increasing the efficiency of the blood circulation in the body
One of the benefits of mallow is also that it stimulates blood circulation, because it contains abundant amounts of iron, which contributes to the production of red blood cells that work to maintain the balance of energy levels, by transporting oxygen to all cells of the body.
Improve blood pressure
One of the important vital indicators of the human body is blood pressure, which helps in the delivery of oxygen and nutrients to tissues and organs. Therefore, the rate of blood pressure must be maintained within its normal rates. It is worth noting that molokhia helps improve its rates by reducing its levels; Because it contains potassium, which acts as a vasodilator, and thus maintains the proportion of oxygen in the body.
Read also: How many calories are in rice and its most important health benefits
Low-calorie molokhia recipe
In order to be able to prepare molokhia with as few calories as possible, you can prepare it using only water as follows:
- Grated tomato.
- Grated onion.
- black pepper.
- liter of water.
- Salt, to taste.
- Half a kilo of frozen or dried molokhia, or minced.
- Minced garlic, dry coriander.
- One tablespoon of oil.
- Put the water in a pot and add the spices to it until it boils, then filter it and add the molokhia to it.
- In a frying pan, add the oil and the chopped onion, stirring until it turns golden, then add the garlic, then the tomatoes and coriander.
- Then remove the pan from the heat and add this mixture to the molokhia, and leave it on the fire until it boils.
Important tips to reduce calories in the molokhia meal
If we look at molokhia as a meal alone, we will notice that it is low in calories, but in fact it is eaten alongside rice, chicken, meat or shrimp, etc., which makes the molokhia meal high in calories, but what can we do to reduce these calories:
- We can eat chicken breast without the skin; Because this reduces the calories in the meal by 118 calories.
- We can replace white rice with brown rice; Because that reduces calories by about 24 calories.
- We can prepare molokhia using vegetable broth or water instead of using meat or chicken broth; Because this helps reduce the number of calories by about 8 calories.
In conclusion… Dear reader, you do not need to worry about the calories in molokhia when you follow a diet; Because it doesn’t have a lot of calories as long as you prepare it in a healthy, fat-free way.
See the original thread here