The pregnant woman suffers from sleep problems such as insomnia, especially in the last three months; Due to the emotional, psychological and physical changes, which increase her feeling of tension and fatigue, but it is possible to control and solve this problem by following some simple and easy methods that we will introduce you to in this article, and we will introduce you to the causes of difficulty sleeping during pregnancy.
Reasons for difficulty sleeping during pregnancy
- Changes in hormones: Progesterone levels change, affecting sleep pattern.
- Frequent urination: As a result of the increased desire to urinate at night as a result of the expansion of the uterus, and its pressure on the bladder, which leads to insomnia, and thus the inability to sleep.
- Back pain: The feeling of back pain increases as a result of the large size of the abdomen, in addition to sleeping in an inappropriate position.
- Heartburn: Pregnant women suffer from the relaxation of the valve that connects the stomach and the esophagus, which leads to the rise of acidity from the stomach to the esophagus, and thus the inability to sleep as a result of the burning sensation.
- Stress and anxiety: the feeling of stress increases for the pregnant woman as the date of birth approaches; Because of the fear of responsibility and childbirth.
Ways to overcome pregnancy insomnia
- Sleeping position: Sleeping on the left side is one of the best sleeping positions for pregnant women. Because it helps relieve back pain, in addition to facilitating the flow of food and blood to the fetus through the placenta.
- Food quality: The pregnant woman should eat meals rich in nutrients important for the health of the body, such as vitamins, minerals, and carbohydrates, as they contribute to increasing the ability to sleep, in addition to the need to stay away from soft drinks, salty, hot, fried foods, tomatoes, acid juices, and drinks containing caffeine; Due to its role in increasing the feeling of insomnia.
- Temperature: It is necessary to ensure the temperature of the room before going to sleep by providing the appropriate heat, not high or low.
- Maintaining emotional balance: by talking with close people, expressing feelings and thoughts, which helps to relax.
Tips to increase the ability of pregnant women to sleep
- Taking a hot bath, as it helps calm the nerves and increase the production of sleep hormones.
- Avoid eating fatty meals before bed, and make sure to eat light meals or a warm drink such as chamomile.
- Wear loose-fitting, comfortable pajamas to facilitate sleep.
- doing some stretching exercises; Because it helps to relax the muscles, and thus increases the ability to sleep by lying on the back on the bed, then bending the knees, and trying to connect the knee to the chin within twenty seconds, then repeating it for the other knee.
- Read an exciting story before bed, or play some games like escudos.
Difficulty sleeping while pregnant