Here are the main benefits of carrots:
- Cancer prevention: This is thanks to the presence of carotenoids, which may help prevent several types of cancer, including prostate, colon, stomach, and breast cancer.
- Eye health: Eating carrots reduces the risk of night blindness, thanks to vitamin A and the carotenoids in it, and carotenoids may help prevent age-related macular degeneration.
- Contribute to weight loss: Carrots can help to increase the satiety period and thus reduce the calorie intake from the next meal.
- Reducing cholesterol levels: Eating carrots has been linked to its ability to reduce cholesterol levels in the blood and thus prevent the risk of heart disease.
Here are the most important damages caused by eating too many carrots:
- An increase in the intake of vitamin A found in carrots leads to problems such as an orange color of the skin, but this is not considered a health risk.
- Taking carrots with Roaccutane for acne and acitretin for psoriasis leads to a risk of hypervitaminosis A.
The nutrients in carrots
Carrots are considered a low-calorie food and rich in fiber, so it is a good option that can be added to the diet program, in addition to containing vitamins and minerals that are useful for eye health and to protect against nutritional deficiencies, and among these elements that carrots contain:
- Water: Water makes up about 88% of the weight of a carrot.
- Calories: One cup of carrots contains 50 calories.
- Protein and fat: One cup of carrots contains a gram of protein, and less than a gram of fat.
- Fiber: One cup contains 3.5 grams of fiber.
- Other elements: such as vitamin A, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, copper, and manganese.
- ↑ Adda Bjarnadotti (23-1-2015), “Carrots 101: Nutrition Facts and Health Benefits”, healthline, Retrieved 3-12-2018. Edited.
- ↑ Megan Ware (5-12-2017), “What are the health benefits of carrots?”, medicalnewstoday, Retrieved 3-12-2018. Edited.
- ↑ Erica Kannall (3-10-2017), “What Is the Nutritional Value of Carrots?”, livestrong, Retrieved 3-12-2018. Edited.
The benefits and harms of carrots