According to the Office of National Statistics (ONS), the United Kingdom is one of the most popular destinations in Europe for American tourists. With its English-speaking population, rich history and bustling cities, it’s no wonder that 4.56 million U.S. citizens visited the UK in 2022. Here are the top 4 destinations in the United Kingdom that drew the most American visitors:
1) London: The capital of the United Kingdom remains the most popular destination for American tourists. From Buckingham Palace to the London Eye, there is no shortage of things to see and do in London. While tourism in the city hasn’t yet surpassed pre-pandemic levels according to official data, Americans still adore this fascinating city.
2) Edinburgh: Scotland’s capital city is full of culture and history. From the world-famous Edinburgh Castle to walking tours through the city’s historic Old Town, there’s something for everyone in Edinburgh.
3) Belfast: The capital of Northern Ireland is a cultural hub, with plenty of museums and historical landmarks to explore. The city is also home to stunning natural attractions, such as the Giant’s Causeway.
4) Liverpool: This city in northwest England is famous for its musical heritage, with iconic venues like the Cavern Club drawing in music fans from around the world. Liverpool also boasts a rich cultural history, with museums and galleries showcasing the city’s past and present.
Despite the ongoing impacts of the pandemic on the tourism industry, American visitors showed a keen interest in exploring different parts of the UK. While London remains at the top of the list, there’s been a growing trend towards exploring lesser-known cities, such as Edinburgh, Belfast and Liverpool.
1) Do Americans need a visa to visit the UK?
No, American visitors can enter the UK without a visa for up to 6 months.
2) Can I use US dollars in the UK?
While some tourist attractions and shops may accept US dollars, it’s best to exchange your currency for pounds sterling when in the UK.
3) What is the best time of year to visit the UK?
Summer months (June-August) tend to be the most popular for tourists, but spring (March-May) and autumn (September-November) can be a great time to visit as well, with fewer crowds and milder weather.
4) How do I get around the UK as a tourist?
The UK has an extensive public transportation system, including trains, buses and the underground (or “Tube” in London). Taxis and ride-sharing services are also widely available.
5) What are some popular UK foods that I should try?
Traditional British fare includes dishes like fish and chips, shepherd’s pie and bangers and mash. The UK is also famous for its afternoon tea, featuring scones, tea sandwiches and pastries.